Commitment to privacy and responsible use of information
The privacy of our customers is of utmost importance to Adventure Travel Company Ltd (Adventure Travel). This Privacy Statement sets out how we manage personal information across our business. It applies to Adventure Travel, and to the practices of the agents and contractors engaged by Adventure Travel to provide goods and services. It also applies to your use of the Adventure Travel website, your dealings with Adventure Travel as a member or a customer, and any third party information which may be collected by us.
We may update our policies and this Privacy Statement from time to time. The most current version will always be located on our website.
Types of personal information we collect
The types of personal information we collect will vary depending on your dealings with Adventure Travel and the products, services and benefits we (or our agents, contractors and third parties) provide to you, or a request or inquiry you make in relation to such products, benefits and services.
This information may include any or all of the following:
- name, address(es), telephone number(s) and other contact details;
- electronic address(es);
- date of birth;
- vehicle details including registration, model and colour;
- transaction details relating to your use of our products, services or member benefits;
- any benefits you obtain from your membership; any of the above information in respect of additional cardholders or your family members; and
- any preferences you tell us about.
We may collect sensitive information, such as the fact that you are disabled, to allow us to provide our services more effectively to you but only if you provide express consent at the time it is provided. Information is also generated whenever a page is accessed on our website that records information such as the time, date and specific page.
We collect such information for statistical and maintenance purposes that enables us to continually evaluate our website performance. Some parts of our websites also use “cookies”. A “cookie” is a small text file that is placed on your computer’s hard drive by a web page server. Cookies store information about the use of our website and are used to identify new or previous visitors to the website and what pages have been accessed. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies, but this function can usually be disabled if you wish and doing so will not affect your ability to use a website.
Why we collect personal information
Generally, we collect and use personal information about customers to provide a range of products, services and benefits to customers relating to their travel and related lifestyle needs.
We also collect personal information to assist in identifying ways in which we can serve you better, such as providing our products and services to you more effectively, and to assist our internal administration and operations including accounting, risk management, record keeping, archiving, systems development and testing, and staff training.
Some of the information we collect is for the purpose of improving our interaction with customers and their involvement with Adventure Travel. We collect personal information about third parties, including family members, for purposes in relation to your and their dealings (either directly or indirectly) with Adventure Travel.
Customers who provide personal information about a third party individual need to ensure that those persons are aware of this Privacy Statement, understand it and agree to accept it. If that individual does not have the capacity to understand and agree to these terms, Adventure Travel requires a parent or guardian to give the assurances set out in this paragraph.
How we collect information
Generally, we collect personal information directly from you, such as when you request a product or service, in the course of providing you with that product or service, or when you have other dealings with us.
We may collect and update that information over the phone, by letter, fax, e-mail, over the Internet, on our website, in person or if you participate in our marketing campaigns. We may also collect personal information through third parties such as:
- our related companies:
- agents making travel arrangements on your behalf;
- Data washing organisations and postal service providers, including Australia Post and New Zealand Post.
Storage and protection of personal information
We store personal information in a combination of secure computer storage facilities and paper-based files and other records. In so doing, we have taken numerous steps to protect your personal information from misuse, loss, and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Additionally we take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information when we no longer need it. We impose strict requirements of security and confidentiality on all third parties as to how they store, handle and deal with your personal information.
How we use personal information
We may use and disclose your personal information for a variety of purposes in connection with servicing you and in relation to our business operations. These include:
- Processing and administering your dealings with us as a customer;
- Processing your online booking;
- Being aware of any special travel requirements (health or otherwise) you may have;
- Providing you with confirmation of your flight booking and advising you of any changes to your itinerary.
- Confirming your identity when you check in.
- Addressing any feedback or complaints you may have.
- Providing you with the products and services you have requested from us;
- Developing processes, products, services and benefits to better meet your needs;
- Disclosing your information for use by relevant parties in connection with our services; and
- Conducting market research and marketing our products and services to you more generally.
We may also use your personal information to offer or provide you with loyalty benefits, discounts or other information about such schemes that may be operated by us or third parties. This includes:
- Providing your personal information to our other business partners, and its related entities to give you information and offers about products and services offered by us or these companies;
- Obtaining details about how you acquire and use our products and services;
- Rewarding members for utilising our products and services through mechanisms such as discounts, special pricing offers and prizes; and
- Targeting appropriate marketing of products and services to you.
We may provide your personal information to our agents, franchisees, contractors or related companies for the purposes of, or in connection, with the supply of products and services to you and for the same purposes above.
If you do not wish to receive marketing information from Adventure Travel, please use the contact details below to update your preferences. Please note that if you make such a request:
- We may still need to use your personal information to provide you with the services and products you have requested as a member or customer; and
- It may not be possible for us to immediately action a request to cease receiving any or all marketing material. However, we will respond to such requests as soon as practicable and will make all reasonable efforts to promptly activate a change in preference to opt out of receiving future marketing material.
We will not sell or rent your personal information without your consent. We may disclose your personal information where we are required or authorised by law to disclose your personal information or for any purposes connected to a fraud, crime prevention or impropriety investigation.
Access to personal information
We will take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up to date. If your personal details change, such as your address or phone number, please contact us on (04) 494 7180 to update your details.
Following a request, we will provide you with a copy of any personal information which we hold about you in accordance with our obligations under the Privacy Act. We may charge a fee for retrieving this information, in which case we will inform you of the fee in advance of providing the information. We undertake to promptly acknowledge and investigate any complaint about the way we manage personal information.
The Privacy Officer
Adventure Travel Company Ltd
10 Brandon Street,
Wellington, New Zealand
Our Privacy Officer will respond to you as soon as reasonably practicable.
Further information on privacy
You may obtain further information regarding privacy issues in New Zealand by visiting the Office of the Privacy Commissioner’s website at http://privacy.org.nz/